Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Gore Bay...Dec.2-3

This was Steve’s and I first camping trip, and my first look at the scenery while we drove North from Christchurch about 1.5 hours to our destination. NZ camping is quite different then camping back home…basically it is an open field or lot and you just pitch a tent…..no real trees or privacy, but it makes it good for meeting people! The camp site was by the ocean so you could hear the waves on the beach during the night. Another different thing here, is that the kiwi’s don’t really have camp fires….there are no pits for fires even at campsites! I was surprised by this….It was a pretty relaxing weekend…I tried setting up my hammock but with the lack of trees it made it difficult…(The weather was quite windy so where there were trees you wouldn’t want to hang out….cuz you would be blowin all over the place!) but we figured we could tie one end to the truck and if we pulled the truck forward we could make it tight enough….well it was a bit too tight, I was laying in it…and then one of the ropes snapped and I found myself with a sore arse. We met up with some other random people from Christchurch (this is the city I am living at) and Steve and I played Scategories with them all in their massive tent…it was an interesting evening!! We also met up with a couple from Holland and it was interesting hearing about their travels. The next day we wondered along the beach and explored around the rocks. All in all it was a good little weekend get-a-way.

No comments: